Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Baby Wisdom

         Recently one Saturday afternoon I witness a now-becoming-familiar scene: Our eighteen month old daughter on the step stool at the kitchen sink, swirling a dishrag around in the suds. I pause and watch her because it's clear she has entered that sacred circle of awareness that is "flow."  She is the dishrag. She is the water.  Her pruney hands plunge deep, bring up a rubber duck, a little cup, a plastic popsicle stick. Again with the dishrag, round and round. She leans her face down closer to the suds until bubbles move in response to her breath, then she begins to blow, carefully sending suds in every direction. She pats the bubble peaks with her open hand and goes back to pushing them around in some kind of sculptor's trance. 
            She is our youngest of three, and hyper-engaged in all sensory play. We've been here before: I'm stocking up on cream of tartar for homemade play dough and our water bill might reflect some sink activity unrelated to actual dishes being washed.  Mealtime has taken a turn toward more intentional performance art and baths are lengthy, sudsy, splashy affairs.
            It's especially meaningful to me right now. This toddler life stands in contrast to the becoming complicated lives of our two older children, ages 17 and 20. The eighteen month old was our mid-life shock surprise.  Finding out you are pregnant at 42 while in the middle of pondering an empty nest is an interesting experience.  Part of accepting celebrating this new life direction has been to look for extraordinary moments connected to this child in our day to day lives, and savor them.  Not surprisingly, this part is easy.  
            So there I am, taking a lesson from the baby in being present and mindful.  I decide this is "extraordinary," and call older children over to  watch her play. I tell them whatever they do to always have something in life that takes them to this place she's visiting.  They roll their eyes.  I tell them to always play--not video games--but really play, even while working. They nod, if not in understanding at least out of respect for my tendency to make a big deal out of everything.  It's okay.   Somewhere in their adolescent brains is a memory of playing in water, swirling a dishrag round and round, and being completely at peace in a world of their own making.  My hope is that these memories provide an anchor for authentic living that won't let them down. What is extraordinary is that their baby sister models this every day and we all get to relearn how to live. How awesome is that? "Watch her play," I tell them one more time and the player finally hears me, looks up from her sudsy world, and breaks into a squinty-eyed, toothy grin.
            "This is the secret," I say, "to being happy forever."

11 comments:

  1. You transported me back to my early motherhood with your story! How wise to find the silver lining in this unexpected phase of your life. In Dr. Christiane Northrup's latest PBS show, she talked about centenarians. One of their "secrets" to living a long, productive life was spending time with younger people. Here's to rediscovering that spark. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, we are transported to those early days all the time, which I suppose is one of the gifts of the experience. And now I know maybe I will live longer, thanks to you!

      Delete
  2. Lori, some of my favorite memories of my children as babies are watching them play and getting caught up in the moment, finding flow. Your story made me smile as I remembered bubbles blown and learning cause and effect by splashing in the bathtub and burying things below the bubbles only to dissolve into surprised giggles a minute later when they are found again. Thanks for sharing your sweet little lady today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your own memories. They are special times!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Oh how I love that little toothy grin and that swirly bubbly girl. I remember putting a large pan of water on the floor with spoons and scoops for my kiddos to play with. It seemed to transport them into happiness, the way you described it. I love all the details in this and how you have found those special moments that your family can treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful and hurts all at the same time. My girls are young still - only 3 and 5 - but they're not 18 months anymore. I miss that.

    I was drawn right into your writing and felt like I was standing at the sink, watching her play. "Watch her play," you said. "I am!" I said back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 and 5 is still prime observation time! I love watching the pretenders! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. I read this and couldn't leave a comment. So, here I am, an hour later, back to leave a comment. And in that time I had the chance to stare down at my daughter's precious four year-old face and watch her play. I watched her a bit more carefully than before. I think I was savoring her expression knowing that she will be 17 before I know it!

    BTW: Glad you're joining us for our writing challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting and I'm so glad to join you! Have been wanting to for a while and really enjoy TWT blog.

      Delete