Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Because it's Poetry Month


Painting by Ruth McNally Barshaw
Her baby hands burst open like spring buds.

You invited me to that movie in college where
I put my head on your shoulder
and you took my hand,
roots penetrated, surrounded,
fed us.

She studies both sides
and the introduction is awkward.

We leafed in the darkened theater
in the light of the projector.
You took my hand and
I thought I would never be lonely again.

It seems almost accidental when it finally happens:
Hands find each other,
Neurons fire.
She lights the room
and squeals at this sparkling thing.

We held onto each other,
opened like flowers;
hopeful. 

Hemispheres converge
and we watch it all
from half a world away
until time collapses
in a refulgence of light and longing
to capture a childhood, a love.

I think I've accepted it, 
tangled roots and all,
until she turns, smiling
and reaches
for us.
Outside snow piles.

Inside it is spring.


To find a vibrant community of teachers who write
visit https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/

6 comments:

  1. Your label is funny, poetry major or not, I love the back and forth flow of the poem. This little moment you captured is so "blown up" and I love the reference to light early on in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shivers. I love this, especially the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem is amazing! The back and forth, the connections...brilliant! I've read it several times and each time I find something I didn't notice before. Such a sweet picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the infusion of the plant words. My favorite was "We leafed in the darkened theater."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved these lines:

    I think I've accepted it,
    tangled roots and all,
    until she turns, smiling
    and reaches
    for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Lori. Wonderful painting, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete